Cataracts affect the vision of thousands of people every year and are a condition likely to develop and worsen with age. It may seem obvious that improving a driver’s eyesight would decrease the likelihood of them being involved in a car accident, and researchers have now proven that this is, indeed, the case. The study, carried out by a team from Kensington Eye Institute in Ontario, suggests that the risk of being involved in a collision is approximately 9% lower after cataract surgery. While this represents a very small number in terms of actual car accidents, any reduction in risk is sure to be welcomed by all on the roads. Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers certainly agree.
Cataract Surgery and Los Angeles Car Accidents – The Findings
The study which was undertaken before the report in question was compiled involved 559,546 patients who had cataract surgery between 2006 and 2016. Some of the key findings arising from that research include the following:
- The average age of participants was 76 years of age
- In the five years prior to their cataract surgeries, these patients were involved in 6,482 serious traffic accidents
- In the 3.5 years before cataract surgery, 1,320 of these participants had been drivers in car accidents
- Over the course of the first year after surgery, this was reduced to 1,197
- Around 1,400 cataract surgeries would need to be performed to completely avoid the one-car accident but, as mentioned earlier, any reduction in risk is definitely welcome
While the study did not consider the risk of being involved in a collision with a pedestrian, or while traveling as a passenger in a motor vehicle, the results show a clear drop in the number of drivers caught up in, or causing, car accidents.
It is imperative that all motorists are aware that even a small obstruction to your vision can greatly increase your chances of being involved in a car accident, and our car accident lawyer reminds you that driving while you are aware of such a risk could be construed as negligence or reckless behavior, should an accident occur.
Los Angeles Car Accident Statistics
When you drive in a city as busy as Los Angeles, you will know those car accidents are pretty much a part of life. While most of them will be minor and can be dealt with without the need for legal intervention, some serious collisions can result in devastating injuries. Some of the key statistics relating to car accidents in Los Angeles and beyond follow:
- Between 35,000 and 40,000 Americans die in road accidents every year
- Over 2.3 million people are injured in collisions annually
- Around 8,000 teenagers between 16 and 20 die in fatal road accidents each year
- An annual total of around 10 million car accidents occur across the United States
- 3 in every 1,000 car accidents involve at least one fatality
- 1.6 million of these crashes are caused by texting and driving
- More than 1.1 million motorists are arrested each year for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI)
When you have been injured in any kind of Los Angeles collision, an experienced attorney from the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg could ensure you recover the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 310-997-0904 for a free initial consultation.