Commuters in Los Angeles frequently rely on a bicycle as an economical and convenient form of transportation. Avid cyclists also enjoy a ride to remain physically fit and children love being entertained by the whole experience. While riding a bike has its advantages, it can also be dangerous. Bikers are particularly vulnerable when road accidents occur. Even with adequate protection, a rider can suffer devastating injuries.
Common causes of Bike accidents in Los Angeles
Bike accidents in Los Angeles can result for a variety of reasons. Drivers may not see a bike approaching and fail to yield the right of way, especially when impatiently making a left-hand turn. Riders passing parked cars are often surprised when a motorist abruptly steps out, leading to an open door collision. Some drivers have a personal animosity for cyclists and refuse to share the road. When substantial injury results from a bike accident, disputes over the fault, liability, and insurance coverage can be zealously contested. You need the assistance of a highly skilled Los Angeles bike accident attorney in your corner who knows how to win.
Common injuries sustained in bike accidents
Bikers can suffer life-altering injuries when involved in a Bike accident. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Broken bones: Bone fractures are some of the most common injuries sustained in bike accidents. There are broken arms, legs, and fractures of the skull, ribs, pelvis, facial bones, etc. These injuries often require a long and painful recovery period.
- Chest and abdominal injuries: These can become life-changing injuries with damage to the chest, abdomen, and also organs. Road rash is the most common injury but riders can also suffer torso injuries lasting for years.
- Brain injuries: This is the most serious scenario. Victims will experience concussions and other life-altering symptoms that may interfere with the rider’s daily activities. Head injuries require intensive treatment to help patients cope with a variety of symptoms. It can be very costly in the long run if you don’t have the funds to pay for it.
- Death: Even experienced bikers are exposed to unpredictabilities on the road. Riders under the influence who drive recklessly are, particularly at risk.
How long do bike accident victims have to file lawsuits in Los Angeles?
Each state is responsible for setting timelines for how long victims have to file lawsuits against those that cause them harm. The California personal injury statute of limitations is two years from the date the injury occurs. This means that personal injury victims have a two-year window with which to file a lawsuit against the alleged negligent party in Los Angeles. Failing to file a claim within this time frame will result in a victim being unable to recover the compensation they are entitled to.
However, we want to point out that this two-year timeframe does not apply to reporting accidents to insurance carriers. Many bike accidents in LA involve one or more auto insurance carriers, and these incidents need to be reported as soon as possible after the crash occurs. Failing to file a report with an insurance carrier could result and a victim’s insurance claim is denied or delayed by the carrier.
What type of compensation is available for a Los Angeles bicycle accident case?
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of another party, you may be entitled to various types of compensation for your claim. At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers are regularly able to help clients recover the following:
- Full payment of medical expenses related to the crash
- Lost wages if a victim cannot work while recovering
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation expenses
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Pain and suffering damages
The total amount of compensation available in these cases will vary depending on the circumstances related to each particular situation. At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, our LA bicycle accident attorneys will use our extensive resources in an effort to help crash victims receive the compensation they need. We will:
- Conduct extensive investigations in order to determine liability, which includes gathering available video footage, statements from eyewitnesses, accident reports, and more.
- Work with trusted medical professionals to ensure our client’s well-being.
- Enlist assistance from economic and financial experts to help calculate a client’s total losses.
- Negotiate with every party involved in order to reach a fair settlement on behalf of our client.
How often do bicycle accidents occur in California?
According to data available from the California Office of Traffic Safety, we can see that bike accident do affect victims throughout the state of California. During the latest reporting year of data, there were 155 bicyclist fatalities and more than 11,000 total bicyclist injuries across the state. Crowded areas such as Los Angeles tend to have a higher density of bicycle crashes when compared to other areas in California. This is true even as the city of Los Angeles has worked to implement “Vision Zero,” the commitment to eliminate traffic deaths in the city by 2025.
We obtain results
In the midst of all this turmoil, you may need the legal advice of a Los Angeles bike accident attorney to enforce your legal rights. Howard Craig Kornberg is committed to achieving successful results and helping accident victims get the compensation they deserve. Our firm is well-respected for our drive to obtain results. You deserve to have a lawyer who truly cares about the outcome of your case. Your recovery process and well-being are paramount. Backed by more than 35 years of experience obtaining positive results, we will take the burden of fighting the insurance companies and negligent drivers off your shoulders.
Los Angeles bike accident attorney protecting your rights
Riding a bike in the neighborhood when a distracted driver motor down the street can be the worst thing that ever happens to you. It’s important you exercise caution on the road and contact a Los Angeles bike accident attorney when an accident occurs.
The Law Offices of Howard Kornberg prepare your case for success. We diligently investigate to find the evidence needed to build a strong case. Attorney Kornberg is relentless in championing the rights of clients. While every case is different, our goals remain the same: obtaining justice and maximizing compensation for our clients.
Located in Los Angeles and serving clients throughout California, we know how to anticipate what the other side will do. We are devoted to countering their tactics with solid evidence and vigorous advocacy. To arrange your initial consultation, call us today.