A burn injury can have a lasting impact on a person’s life. The scarring and disfigurement left behind can prevent the victim from getting enjoyment from his or her life and engaging in day-to-day activities.
Have you or someone you care about suffered a serious burn injury? You can pursue compensation from those responsible. We are here to help.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, we know what we’re up against. We are up against big businesses and insurance companies that have a vast amount of resources that they will put to use trying to avoid providing you with the compensation you need and deserve to cover medical bills, pain, and suffering lost wages and other costs. We know how to overcome them, and have been successful in over 90% of our cases.
Over the course of more than 30 years, we have built a strong record of success in helping burn injury victims and other accident victims in Los Angeles and throughout Southern California. We can help you.
Common Causes Of Burn Injuries In Los Angeles
Howard C. Kornberg is AV-rated* by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating given to attorneys for legal trial skills and ethical standards. He is also a member of the TOP 100 Trial Lawyers in California and ABOTA.
Our team can handle all burn injury cases, including:
- Hot liquids
- Electrical fires caused by defective products
- Propane fires caused by propane tank defects
- Chemical burns caused by improperly tested cosmetic products
- House fires caused by defective appliances
- Children burned by unsafe toys
How Are Burn Injuries Classified By Severity?
As we discuss burn injuries, we should also look at how these injuries are classified. Burn injuries are going to be classified based on “degrees” that indicate severity. In most situations, we will now see burn injuries classified from first-degree to fourth-degree.
- First-degree burns: This is considered the least severe level of burn injury that a person can sustain, and is also referred to as a superficial burn. These burns will affect only the outermost layer of a person’s skin, and will usually result in some sort of redness and minor inflammation.
- Second-degree burns: These burns are more serious because the burn damage will extend below the top layer of the skin. When a second-degree burn happens, this will typically cause the skin to blister and become red and extremely sore. Often, blisters in these cases will pop open. Second-degree burns will usually heal within a few weeks and leave very minimal if any, scarring.
- Third-degree burns: Third-degree burns are considered severe. These burns will usually extend through every layer of skin. Even though the initial burn in these situations will not cause a lot of pain because they destroy the nerves, the recovery process can be grueling. Third-degree burns can be life-threatening, and individuals must seek immediate medical care. This often includes surgery.
- Fourth-degree burns: These burns are considered the most serious of all burn injuries. This means that a burn has gone through all the layers of skin and into the underlying tissue, muscle, and possibly bone. These burn injuries are life-threatening.
Types Of Compensation Available After A Burn Injury
There may be various types of compensation available to burn injury victims in and around the Los Angeles area. Anytime a burn injury is caused by the careless or negligent actions of another party, victims should be able to recover various types of economic and non-economic compensation. This can include the following:
- Complete coverage of all medical bills related to the burn injury
- The cost of any surgery or physical therapy needed
- Coverage of prescription medications or medical devices
- Lost income if a victim cannot work while they recover
- General household out-of-pocket expenses the victim incurs
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of quality of life damages
The total amount of compensation available to Los Angeles burns injury victims will vary depending on the circumstances related to each particular incident. A skilled Howard C Kornberg attorney will work with trusted medical and economic experts to help properly calculate total current and expected future losses to present to insurance carriers or a personal injury jury.
No matter what type of burn injury your case involves, Our Los Angeles Burn Injuries Attorney is here to stand by your side.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent®, and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.