Summer is a time for vacations, road trips, and increased commercial activities, leading to an uptick in traffic on the roads of Los Angeles. Among the various road users, large trucks often stand out not just because of their size but also due to the significant damage they can cause in accidents. Unfortunately, the data suggests that truck accidents in Los Angeles see an increase during the summer months.
Numbers Tell the Story
According to the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), truck-related accidents in Los Angeles rise by approximately 15% during the summer months compared to other times of the year. These accidents can result in serious injuries due to the size and weight of trucks.
Why the Increase?
Several factors contribute to this summer surge. Increased road congestion due to tourism, coupled with the higher frequency of deliveries, means more trucks on the road, leading to a higher probability of accidents. Summer heat can also degrade road and vehicle conditions, increasing the likelihood of accidents. Tire blowouts, for example, are more common during hot weather.
Truck Driver Safety Measures
Truck drivers can take several precautions to ensure their safety and the safety of other road users.
- Regular Vehicle Maintenance: Regular checks and maintenance are vital, particularly in the summertime. Key elements to inspect include tires, brakes, and cooling systems, which are prone to malfunction in high temperatures.
- Rest and Hydration: Long hours on the road can cause fatigue, reducing the driver’s alertness and response time. Truck drivers should take regular breaks to rest and hydrate.
- Defensive Driving: Given their size and braking distance, truck drivers need to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, especially on crowded roads. They should also anticipate potential hazards and adjust their driving accordingly.
Staying Safe around Trucks
Other road users also have a part to play in reducing truck-related accidents.
- Give Trucks Space: Trucks require a longer distance to stop and maneuver. Providing them with enough space, especially when changing lanes or turning, can prevent many accidents.
- Avoid Blind Spots: Large trucks have larger blind spots. Other drivers should stay out of these zones as much as possible to ensure that the truck driver can see them.
- Drive Predictably: Abrupt changes in speed or direction can surprise truck drivers, leading to accidents. Maintaining a steady speed and signaling intentions well in advance can help avoid such situations.
Towards a Safer Summer
While the summer surge in truck accidents in Los Angeles is a grim reality, the situation is far from hopeless. Awareness and proactive measures can significantly reduce the risk of accidents. Summer in LA should be about enjoying the city’s sun-kissed beauty and vibrant life. By prioritizing road safety and acting responsibly, drivers can ensure that their summer memories are not marred by accidents. Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
The Law Offices of Howard Kornberg Is Here For You
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident and sustained injuries, it’s important that you contact an attorney. Our award-winning attorney, Howard Kornberg, is here to help make sure you receive the proper care and compensation you deserve. Contact us today for your free consultation by messaging us here, or call us at 310-997-0904.