You may have missed it, but the week of April 7 through the 13 was National Dog Bite Prevention Week. We know you may be thinking, “Why do we need a week for that?”
At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, we know that dog bites are much more common than most people realize. In fact, they account for an astonishing amount of insurance claims each year. Now we are learning that California has the most dog bites in the country.
If you need a dog bite attorney in Los Angeles, call us today so we can work to secure compensation for all of your injury-related expenses.
What The Studies Show
We are learning that a study by the Insurance Information Institute and State Farm shows that most of the dog bite claims in the United States come from California. State Farm says that last year alone, they paid more than $18 million in claims due to dog bites, and they are just one insurance company.
We know that there are around 78 million dogs in US households right now. That is a lot of dogs, but you probably never think that your pet, or someone else’s, is going to cause you harm. However, it is important to remember that dogs have very powerful jaws that can inflict serious damage to a person’s:
- Soft tissue
- Muscles and ligaments
- Veins and arteries
While children and the elderly are the most at risk due to their vulnerability, anyone can suffer from a dog bite injury. In the aftermath of a dog bite, it is not uncommon for a victim to need extensive medical care. This can include emergency surgery as well as plastic surgery that may be necessary to restore a person’s function and appearance.
- Around 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year in the United States
- The CDC says that nearly 1 in 5 people bitten requires medical attention
How This Happens
In many cases, these injuries occur due to the negligent actions of a dog’s owner, including:
- Improperly securing a dog behind a fence, in a kennel, or failing to close a house door
- Allowing a dog to wander off of its leash despite municipal leash laws
- Allowing a dog that is known to be aggressive to be around other people and pets
If You Are Injured
The last thing you ever expected to have to deal with was an injury caused by a dog bite. However, we know that these incidents happen, and you need to know where to turn. At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, you can count on our qualified and experienced team to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Coverage of medical expenses
- Recovery of lost wages if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the dog’s owner