A loved one’s unexpected passing is always a devastating experience. This trauma may cause particularly acute pain if your loved one died as a result of another party’s negligence.
Has such a tragedy affected you and your family? If so, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation for various losses associated with your loved one’s death.
Learn more about your legal options in these circumstances by reviewing your case with a Beverly Hills wrongful death attorney at the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg. Although we cannot bring your loved one back, we can help you see that justice is served.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Beverly Hills
A person can lose their life as a result of someone else’s carelessness for many potential reasons. Common causes of wrongful death include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog and dangerous animal attacks
- Accidents resulting from hazards on someone’s property
- Accidents resulting from defective products
In California, if someone is injured as a result of another party’s negligence, they often have grounds to seek compensation for their medical bills and related losses by filing an insurance claim. If a victim of negligence dies, their surviving loved ones may pursue compensation.
Beverly Hills Wrongful Death Cases: Who Can File a Claim or Lawsuit?
Under California law, individuals who may be able to file wrongful death claims after a passing include:
- The decedent’s spouse or domestic partner at the time of their death
- Surviving children of the decedent
- The grandchildren of the decedent, if the decedent’s children are also deceased
In some instances, other minor children who were financial dependents of the decedent may also file claims, even if they were not the decedent’s actual children. Additionally, anyone else who would be entitled to the decedent’s property under California’s intestate succession laws can potentially file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
It may not always be clear whether you’re among the parties eligible for compensation after someone’s passing. If you have questions about this topic, the experts at our Beverly Hills wrongful death law firm can answer them.
Seeking Compensation After a Loved One’s Wrongful Death in Beverly Hills
Losses for which you may seek compensation when filing a wrongful death claim in California include (but may not be limited to):
- Medical bills if the decedent received medical care before ultimately succumbing to their injuries or illness
- Reasonable funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income the decedent would have earned had they lived
- Loss of companionship, guidance, etc.
A Beverly Hills wrongful death lawyer can help you pursue compensation by:
- Investigating your loved one’s accident to determine whose negligence caused it
- Calculating the potential value of your claim
- Filing a claim and negotiating with the insurance company if initial settlement offers are too low
Contact a Beverly Hills Wrongful Death Attorney
Again, no one can fully restore your life to normalcy when a loved one has died because someone else was careless. However, a Beverly Hills wrongful death attorney at the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg can relieve you of some burdens during this painful time. Learn more about how we can help by contacting our firm online or calling us at 310-474-5588.