Much as we may think we accept death as being inevitable, none of us are ever truly prepared for the passing of a loved one. When this happens due to natural causes, the grief can be overwhelming but, when the death occurred due to the negligence or dangerous actions of another person or party, that grief is likely to be magnified significantly by anger, disbelief, and a myriad of other emotions. Not only have you lost a person who was very dear to you, but you may be facing life without a much-needed source of household income. While money will not bring your deceased loved one back, wrongful death compensation can ease the financial aspect of your loss, leaving you free to deal with the inevitable grief without also facing financial hardship.
When you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or deliberate wrongdoing of another, a wrongful death lawyer from the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg can make sure you are fairly compensated for the economic and non-economic losses suffered as a result.
What Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Wrongful death laws in Santa Ana, and across various states, exist both to penalize the responsible party for causing the death of your loved one, and to compensate eligible family members for the losses inflicted upon them. The loss of the deceased’s income is just one of the areas in which their negligence has an impact, with wrongful death compensation regularly accounting for:
- The pain and suffering inflicted on your loved one between the time of injury and the time of death
- Medical expenses, and associated costs, incurred between the time of injury and the time of death
- Funeral and/or burial costs
- Lost wages, and other forms of income generated by the deceased
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of love, guidance, and support
When you consult with an expert Santa Ana wrongful death attorney, the specific damages you may be entitled to seek will be identified, along with the most suitable way in which to proceed. The actions we take while representing you will include providing evidence of the following:
- The death was caused by the alleged party
- The death occurred as a direct result of the alleged party’s negligence
- The death brought monetary damages
- The death affected the surviving family members
Am I Eligible to Claim Wrongful Death Compensation?
Under California law, the following parties can bring a wrongful death lawsuit:
- Surviving spouse or domestic partner of the deceased
- Surviving children of the deceased
- Where neither of these exists, the eligibility may be extended to parents, step-children, and others who were financially dependent on the deceased
Due to the complexity of wrongful death law, it is strongly recommended that you consult an experienced attorney immediately if you feel you may be eligible.
At the Law Offices of Howard Kornberg, our Santa Ana wrongful death attorneys are highly experienced in successfully recovering compensation for the relatives of those killed in various situations, including car crashes, bus crashes, construction accidents, and more.