Hit By Uninsured/Underinsured Driver: Now What?

May 24, 2019
On behalf of The Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg Posted in Car Accident

Being involved in a car accident is a tough enough pill to swallow, especially if you were not to blame. However, it’s harder yet to come to terms with being hit by a negligent driver if that driver doesn’t have adequate insurance. Accidents caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers are not unusual in California. If that is the case in your accident, you may be wondering what you do, where you can turn, and who will pay your damages.

15.2 Percent of California Drivers are Uninsured

The chances of encountering an uninsured driver on California’s roadways are not exactly slim. Reports from the Insurance Research Council show that California ranks 12th among all states when it comes to the sheer number of uninsured drivers on its roadways. Approximately 15.2 percent of all drivers in California are uninsured.

If you are involved in a car accident, contact our car crash lawyer in Los Angeles right away. We can begin working on the best strategy for your claim so that you are fully reimbursed for any related damages.

Look to Your Own Coverage

In many cases, collision coverage, part of most people’s policies, will pay for the damages caused to vehicles involved in accidents with at-fault uninsured drivers. But bear in mind that this coverage only goes so far as to cover repair costs to your covered auto. Collision coverage will not pay for medical treatment for injuries.

Many California drivers carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or UMC/UIM, so you may be able to collect some damages by making a claim against this insurance. This type of coverage is optional in California, but the law requires auto insurers to offer it to drivers in the state. This coverage pays when the other driver in your accident is at fault, has no insurance, or has inadequate insurance to cover your medical bills and other accident-related losses.

If you have California Med Pay coverage or an umbrella policy, you may also need to file claims with those policies to pay for medical bills and collect damages due to you.

Suing the At-Fault Driver

In the event, you don’t have collision and/or UMC/UIM coverage (or if your injuries and damages related to them are more than your policy limits), it is sometimes the case that you will want to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault uninsured driver. Drivers who have no insurance typically do not have many assets and likely have less income than those drivers with insurance, which can make collecting a judgment difficult.

What To Do

Although you are likely stressed over your accident, you are not alone. the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg want to help you get your life back on track by holding those responsible for your injuries accountable for your damages. Contact us right away following your accident to get the ball rolling on your claim. Click here or call 310-997-0904 to schedule your free consultation with our compassionate Los Angeles car accident attorney now.


Tags: , , , ,